2014-03-06

Shirt fabrics

Again, no sewing today. I had to deal with a lot of other stuff.

Meanwhile, I'm thinking about various stash fabrics for the shirt (which I'll use as an excuse to draft and test sleeves):
  • Dark green cotton sateen. There isn't much of this, so it would have to be short-sleeved. Not a bad fabric, but maybe I should save it for something sleeveless.
  • Ecru oxford. Traditional shirt fabric, and there's a lot of it. I think it might need a pattern with some details; otherwise it could be boring.
  • Shirting with a geometric jacquard pattern. This is more interesting, so it would need a plainer pattern, and the pattern would probably need to be matched.
  • Various linens. These would make the most sense for something short-sleeved.
  • Silk shantung and silk broadcloth. I know, silk is generally regarded as the sort of thing for which you make a muslin, rather than using for a muslin, but I haven't sewn these because in all honesty I have little apparent use for them in my life. That said, if there are any fit issues, these fabrics will magnify them.
I'm leaning toward the oxford, the other shirting, or one of the silks. I have enough of each of them for long sleeves, which I think would give me a better idea of my sleeve draft fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment