2014-03-30

Final pre-move pattern cull

Barring any wadders in the next couple months (that would prompt me to throw out the patterns involved), I've finished picking out all the patterns I definitely don't intend to sew and that I don't want to try selling later on. If I counted right, there were 226. Of course, having acquired so many patterns was a mistake. So these are my tips:
  • Make a croquis of yourself, with front, side, and back views. I do this by tracing photos in Illustrator, but they can just as well be traced by hand. Sketch all patterns you have or are considering buying on this. It might be depressing at first, because a lot of us have body image issues, but eventually you figure out what general proportions tend to work best. If it's a pattern for separates, just make something up for the croquis to wear on the top or bottom; if nothing comes to mind, that's a bad sign in itself. Lots of my culled patterns were acquired before I'd done this — better to find out before spending the time sewing them, right?
  • If you're getting rid of patterns, consider what's worth your time. Some might command a high enough price to be worth selling (what should you charge for your time?); some might not, but would be worth donating; and others might belong in the recycling. I think it'd be great if there were pattern museums that would just keep everything, but that's not my job.
  • Especially in the U.S., with patterns being so cheap on sale, it can be tempting to just keep buying. The flip side of that is it doesn't look like such a huge loss to get rid of them. If they're unflattering/dated to the point they'd be embarrassing to wear, or distracting you from things you really want to sew, are they earning the right to take up your space?
  • How much can you have before it gets distracting? For better and worse, I've drastically increased my limit by having a searchable database, so I don't have to look at all of my patterns whenever I'm trying to choose something for a given fabric/purpose. Of course, that takes time to maintain. Decide what tradeoff between organization and quantity works for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment