2014-04-01

Works in progress

OK, so here's what the super sekr1t Patternreview challenge contest is going to be....

Seriously, though, this is what I'm actually working on: Simplicity 1540 (on their site or on PR). I'm very pleased with the pattern so far. It has a proper upper collar and undercollar, the latter cut on the bias with a CB seam. I suspect I might have to deal with more turn-of-cloth than the pattern intends, but we'll see. The collar shape itself looks very nice; the back has princess seams; and the front has both princess seams and princess darts. I do wish the sleeve were two-piece, with a less-symmetric cap, but it's far from the worst cap shape I've ever seen.

Since I shortened the entire upper chest, when I shortened the sleeve cap, I tried to err on the side of blending such that the front curve was scooped out more and the back built up a little. I'm also interfacing the top part of the patch pockets, and only the outer half-plus-a-little-bit-past-the-fold of the sleeve bands instead of the entire things. I'm leaving off the back tab, because I'll be using very round buttons and wouldn't want to lean back on one of them. I did cut enough pieces for two tabs, so I could use them as epaulettes or pocket tabs if I wanted.

Technically, that'll be my project to finish in the second half of April.

In other news, I may have finished the Malmedy jacket. I did an M-stitch around all the outer edges, and I decided to tape the roll line; otherwise I'd have to guess at where it's meant to be every time I put the jacket on. I still have to fix it up a little, but the tape does give a tangible edge to fold against. I don't know if the back armholes are entirely satisfactory, but it's just a question of whether to leave my deeper stitching in or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment