2014-04-18

New Look 6082

I started fitting the Simplicity coat (I think it's close; it may mostly need some width taken out at the side seams) but that was bo-ring, so I got sidetracked and started making a tank top (there's a Patternreview contest for that going on). I'm not sure yet if it's something I'll actually finish, but here are my impressions of the pattern.
  • I'm probably not using the original neckline and armhole shape, so I rough-cut the top parts of the pattern and only basted those lines in.
  • The original waist length and armhole depth are too long for me, but what else is new?
  • I shortened the waist length and armhole depth all at once by taking an inch out mid-armhole-level. This also had the effect of raising the front neckline. Now on the form it looks just a bit higher than it does on the model photo. Maybe not an inch higher, though.
  • Then I decided the whole thing (darts and all) could still stand to be raised, so I took in the shoulder seams 3/8".
  • This is not a fitted top. There are no waist darts. (Be aware that you really can't get much of a waist fit only by messing with the side seams. Take them in too much and you'll get diagonal wrinkles. Besides, the more fitted you make this, the less likely you'll get into it without a closure, assuming you're using the intended wovens.)
  • Whether or not I actually finish this one, I probably would make it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment