2014-04-21

Color schemes from rugs

I've been trying off and on to decide what colors I should wear. I've never paid to "have my colors done", but I'm getting the impression that extremes of almost anything (saturated, warm, clear, light, but maybe not dark) tend not to be ideal. Not that a blog is a good medium for sharing precise colors, but here's a rough color scheme that comes from two rugs I have, which might turn out to be very good guides:

The colors in the middle row are shared by both.

These are sheets of Color-Aid paper, which isn't perfect for this, but it's all I currently have that I can lay out nicely for a photograph. For one thing, it's not easy matching paper to less-reflective wool and synthetic fibers; beyond that, there isn't quite enough of a color selection. The blues here are not grayed enough, the black is a stand-in for very dark navy, and the red and orange should be slightly darker and maybe a tiny bit more saturated. (I could have photographed the rugs themselves, of course, and I might still, but I wanted something potentially portable.)

I was surprised to notice how gray the blues in both rugs really were. Although I like blue, blue fabrics very often don't look quite right on me, and I'm begging to suspect it's that most of them are too bright or too clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment