2014-04-25

Nothing succeeds like excess?

I've done hand-rolled hems around all the upper edges. The little circular embroidery trim was sewn on right down the middle, and I turned the edges back along that stitched edge. Before doing this I staystitched all the corners with very small stitches, then clipped the fabric (and not the trim) to the stitching. Yes, there are some small raw edges inside the hems; I've overcast them a lot and they are hidden behind the little circles, so I hope that'll be enough to last at least as long as the lace itself. I'm quite happy with how those edges look.

I did have some machine tension problems with certain of the laces, so some of that needs to be cracked and resewn, maybe with a zigzag rather than a straight stitch.

I haven't decided what to do with the hem yet, but I started thinking... what if I repeated the lace sequence in a sort of alternating/braided pattern, all the way down? So you'd get a \ diagonal, then a / one, and so on. If I used the same sequence every time, that'd get me down to a little below waist level near CF and CB, longer at the sides. I do have to question whether (a) I have enough of the laces, especially the spiral-patterned and zigzag-shaped ones and (b) whether I could stand to sew it all. Some of the circular trim would have to be unpicked so perpendicular cuts of lace could underlap it, a very annoying prospect.

I did go and pin some style tape on to simulate that, but as I pinned it on rather tightly I have to wonder if the reason I liked it was really just that it made the waist look fitted, which it can't be in reality. For that reason I should re-do it if I'm going to bother photographing it.

My current thought is that practicality will demand a plain hem with no decoration other than possibly the subtle beading lace. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment