2014-11-01

Catch-up and some possibilities for what's next

I don't feel like I got a lot of sewing done in October. Schnittquelle Oslo is finished; Kwik-Sew 3473 is still sitting patiently on the dress form just as it was almost a month ago. I still need to do some inventory before I can figure out my stash turnover for last month, but certainly more came in than went out.

For November, there are a couple of Patternreview contests that I might or might not join. First, there's the sewing bee, for which the first project is an A-line skirt. I tend to avoid these, so I don't have many patterns for them; plus there are a number of other restrictions that complicate things. (Incidentally there was another meetup at Fabrics Etc. today, and I could've shopped for this if I hadn't been playing where's-my-wallet instead of reading the PR message boards this morning. But I digress.) Anyway, one I do have is Butterick 6330:

It describes itself as an A-line skirt, which I hope suffices. My plan had been to make the entire thing, i.e. also the jacket, in one of my navy suitings. That seemed like a huge commitment, but then I remembered I also have some sort of moleskin print I got from Our Social Fabric a few weeks ago, and I'd specifically meant to make just such a skirt out of it. Thing is, will it really need a lining? I'll test that out next time I'm wearing tights.

The other thing going on is the handbag contest. Now, I have this old thing from H&M:


I've never quite liked the color, and the straps have a disconcerting tendency to fall off, but the size and shape of the body have been extremely useful. So at the moment I'm working on copying the pattern, though I'll probably change some things about it. I have two upholstery fabrics that may work.

Or I may skip the contests and try to finally get the Kwik-Sew dress done.

Aside from all that, there's been a lot of rearranging and some additions to the sewing room. More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment