2014-11-23

Bag construction order

This is probably more of a note to self than anything of particular interest to anyone else. But here's how the bag I'm copying might best be constructed:
  1. Make the outside zipper/pocket assembly. (The zipper is exposed and appears to be topstitched in place.)
  2. Assemble straps.
  3. Attach straps to bag sides, leaving the top seam edge of the bag free. So far as I can tell they were topstitched both to the bag and also along the handle portions in a single pass. For the life of me I can't see how this was done without breaking the stitching or having it go through the facing strip on the inside of the bag; there is no doubled stitching and the topstitching definitely seems to be what is holding the straps onto the bag sides. I will take a closer look at this again later on, but if all else fails I will just break the stitching.
  4. Sew bag sides together.
  5. Assemble interior pockets and lining, leaving a hole somewhere on the lining side seam.
  6. Assemble zipper strips (the "lid" of the bag) and zipper tab end; sandwich and apply bag top edge facing.
  7. Insert lining; turn in; tack down corners; close up hole.
I have decided to put the straps on the outside, as on the original. That will cover over the ends of the zipper/pocket area, so I won't have to be exceedingly careful not to make a mess of them. I couldn't find two different lengths of zippers in a color and with a pull I liked, so both of my zippers are long separating ones, meaning the one for the pocket needs to be shortened. It's a nylon coil so I won't be able to pull the excess teeth off like I could on a metal zipper, and sewing a neat window over the teeth on the one end seems like it would be more of a pain than sewing a strap on over them.

No comments:

Post a Comment