2014-11-17

Pressing mitt

I'd forgotten about this for a while, but then found it again among my pressing items.

It's from Simplicity 9076, view I, shown between the pressing ham and the sleeve board (cover). I don't believe the pattern is still in print, but it's probably still to be found on eBay, Etsy and the like.


I believe there are also tutorials for these, though they aren't all constructed and padded in the same way. Some are more like an oven mitt, whereas this is more like a mini-ham with an integrated pocket. Basically, you want a stuffed elongated D shape, with a pocket on one side, big enough to fit most of your hand.

This particular pattern has elastic in the top of the pocket, as well as a hanging loop on the end. I think there was meant to be trim on the top of the pocket too, but I left that off, and generally made the whole thing more serviceable than decorative. Mine is made of cotton drill stuffed with fabric scraps, with the hanging loop in grosgrain ribbon. The fabric stuffing is a bit lumpy, but works quite well as insulation; just make sure it stays between the iron and your hand!


It turns out to be very useful for pressing armscye seams: with the whole garment inside out, hold the mitt through the armscye, pointing into the sleeve cap, with your hand behind the padded area and using the padding to support the cap as you steam. Easier to maneuver than a pressing ham, I think. I don't give the seam a very hard press, just touch it with the iron at most. You can also turn the garment and steam from the outside; there it might be best not to touch the fabric with the iron at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment