2014-11-21

Knockoff bag progress

After what seemed like endless agonizing on the owl placement, I've cut the two main pieces of the bag. Here's one, fused and ready to go.

I couldn't bear to have partial owl faces that would show on the finished bag, so I cut a jog on one side of each piece, which I will appliqué over the other piece. Here it keeps the yellow owl complete. There are other incomplete ones, like the purple one on the other side, but at least those will go almost entirely into the seam, and the eyes won't show.

The coordinating fabric is shown at left, and I've laid two ends of a strip of herringbone tape on top, more or less where the straps should go. I had considered using the tape alone for the straps, but here it looks much too blindingly pale against the other fabrics, I think.

I had also considered sewing the straps onto the inside of the bag pieces, instead of the outside, where they are on the original bag — that will show more of the owl pattern, but maybe won't bring enough of the contrast fabric in (they will be cut from the contrast, since the herringbone tape looks too light, and besides will probably get noticeably dirty with use).

I do think it is necessary to have the straps continue down this far regardless, since they are part of what holds the side pocket in place on the original. They will also help hold the interfacing to the fabric permanently. I won't do the grommets, though; I haven't found any that I like, or that match the pulls on my zippers. One other thing: I'm cutting each side of the bag in one piece, rather than using the wide contrast band at the top. I probably don't have enough of the contrast to do otherwise, and it was much easier to place the owls this way.

So far I haven't cut anything else out, though I do have all the pieces measured and copied. I will need to decide how best to use my limited amount of contrast fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment