2014-05-07

More on the coat

I've done nothing that looks like much, just reshaped the side seams as I'd planned to, lengthened the princess darts, and started blind-catchstitching some seam allowances down; with no lining and the fairly long length, I think there's a good chance they'll flap around otherwise.

I also pressed up the hem allowance. Here the instructions didn't seem terribly clear (though maybe I missed something by reading only the steps that seemed relevant); I think you could easily end up thinking 5/8" was intended, if you didn't look at the pattern pieces.

Well, I didn't look at the pattern pieces, but I thought 5/8" would be terribly skimpy; 1 1/2" looked about right, so I pressed that up instead. Only later did I look at the pattern pieces and see that 1 1/2" was in fact the intended allowance.

Anyway, I think the fit is about right (or as good as it can get without undoing more than I care to; a length alteration for shoulder blades-with-respect-to-back-armholes probably would have helped) so what remains is to tack down all those seams, finish the hem, put on the pockets, give the collar a good steam, and maybe make up some sort of inside pocket and/or shoulder pads.

No comments:

Post a Comment