2014-05-19

... and Simplicity 1540 revisited

Well, I decided I wasn't quite done with this after all. I had two tabs I'd started to make, thinking I might use them for button tabs on the pockets. They were from exactly the same pattern piece that you're meant to use on the middle of the back, for the purely-decorative tab there.

Then I decided I didn't really want any major closures on the pockets, because they'd just get in the way. (I may still put snaps behind the non-functional buttons that I added.)

I pretty much forgot about the tabs for a while, but I figured I should get any remaining machine sewing done today. At that point I decided I should try making the tabs into epaulets, especially since that could give me a chance to show off yet another different size of the matched buttons I have. So I bagged out the tabs, clipped, turned, pressed, topstitched, then opened enough of the sleeve seam to put them in and sew back closed. The smallest size of button did indeed look best. I just sewed this through all layers, since I was not about to make matching hand-worked buttonholes in any size, not with the thread I used for the other ones.

I'm pretty happy with them, but now that they're on I do think the coat would look better with shoulder pads. Those can be done entirely by hand; I'll probably make them of several layers of self-fabric, since the coat is unlined and ready-made ones wouldn't match. I'd like to say I'll be posting a picture tomorrow, but let's be honest, the movers are coming Wednesday, so any post whatsoever may be too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment