2014-05-15

Like RTW?

I've been putting off doing anything more on my boiled wool coat. There isn't, strictly speaking, that much more to do; the only major thing is the pockets. But I want to add fusible interfacing to the hem, and that always feels like a big obstacle: I have to cut more out. Given that someone was coming to look at the apartment, I had another a reason not to want to make the whole cutting mess.

The reason I do want to interface is it's usually done in RTW,* and it seems to keep the hem looking decent (not ripply or stretched out) for a lot longer. I can see just from doing a light press-up of the hem that it'll be worth it on this fabric.

I've also just noticed that the flats for this pattern don't show any topstitching on the front edges below the collar. I haven't decided whether to respect that or not. I did understitch, so that may be enough, especially if I do attach the facing edges to the princess seams inside.

At any rate, I don't have that much more time to use my machine before it gets packed up, so if nothing else, I plan on trying to get all the machine sewing done in the next couple of days.

* For coats, at least; not for knits or shirts, say. Not that I do things purely because RTW does them; I often pick out more interesting non-plastic buttons, for example, though I'm now trying not to make them stand out too much as too-nice-for-the-fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment