2015-03-31

Adjusting Neue Mode 22716 skirt flare

This pattern is only slightly A-line and has a CB slit (not shown in the illustration).


I wanted a little more flare, and didn't want the slit, so I adjusted the pattern by closing the darts.

First I tried closing the darts all the way. (I'm not showing this step-by-step here; there's already a huge amount of information on dart manipulation to be found on the Web. Search for something like "skirt flare dart manipulation", for example.)

The yellow layer is (approximately) the original pattern, cyan the new one, and green where they overlap. Closing the darts all the way made the hem circumference somewhere around 64 inches. I looked at some illustrations of other patterns I had with similar circumferences, and decided this was way too much. Looking at my other patterns, I thought 46 to 48 55 inches looked about right.

That's around 8 inches more than the original pattern. So I closed the darts partway. I also added 4" to the length, to make the skirt cover the tops of a certain pair of boots I have. Again, this is how the new pattern compares to the original:

 

The darts are about half as wide as they were, still wide enough not to look odd. The CB slit is now unnecessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment