2015-03-21

Neue Mode 22716

This is my next project.


It isn't the first time I've considered sewing this pattern. For some reason I don't recall, the pattern cover and instruction booklet are water-stained. Or maybe it was tea or coffee. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to have affected the pattern tissue.

Back when I used to stalk Neue Mode pattern numbering (there used to be a site selling their discontinued patterns, cataloguing them by collection, that made this much easier), I concluded this one might have been from around 1999-2000. Nonetheless, at time of writing you can still buy it, and see the instructions, here.

Sewingpatterns.com sells lots and lots of past Neue Mode designs, some of them almost as old as I am. They've now also got a small line called "Neue Mode USA"; I can't tell if those are new designs or if they're just new illustrations of old ones (which I'd almost prefer, actually, since they'd be more likely to have the same fit as before). Long story short, I really like Neue Mode's drafting and fit; I'm less enthused about Sewingpatterns.com's downloadable PDF system. I haven't ever tried ordering their printed Neue Modes, though IIRC I've heard they're fine. Almost all of my Neue Modes are pre-2007 paper patterns.

Anyway, the previous attempt was going to be a red printed linen, but somehow that didn't work out. I got bogged down in something or other having to do with alterations, which might be just as well, because that color and print wouldn't have been at all to my taste now. As I recall it was a fairly warm, saturated red, and the print might have borne a certain similarity to a tablecloth.

This time the fabric will be the dark floral moleskin I got from last November's Our Social Fabric sale, the one second from right. Not very spring-y, but then neither am I.

No comments:

Post a Comment