2015-06-20

Getting through the brocade

I'm trying to use up one major piece of fabric per week for the Patternreview Fabric Stash Contest.
Last week's fabric was the green rayon/silk brocade I'd mentioned in my initial post on the aforementioned contest.
Most of that's become ca. 1969 Vogue 2156, reviewed here; the rest became the clutch from New Look 6092. It was the first time I'd sewn brocade of this particular fiber content, probably around 75% rayon/25% silk or so. Not surprisingly, It was much easier to handle, and in particular press, than the synthetic brocades and brocade-look satin prints I'd worked with before. To the contrary of what Sandra Betzina's More Fabric Savvy says, and unlike the synthetics, it does hold a crease quite well, especially if you've got a decent iron. (I think everything else said above brocade in that book was on point.) While I liked this fabric a lot, and I'm pretty happy with the finished items, I was very glad to be done with them, what with all the fraying.

This week's fabric has been a piece of Bemberg that seems endless, which is why I've been sewing rather than posting. Not a very interesting fabric to look at, but for the record, here it is. The idea is to make lots of dark brown breathable lingerie that can substitute for the black non-breathable kind that's the only (less flattering on me) dark-colored option in RTW.

No comments:

Post a Comment