2015-02-16

McCall's cardigan and one more tricot project

Here's the McCall's cardigan I've been meaning to photograph.
It's 6996 which, judging from Patternreview, wasn't as massively popular as another cardigan-with-peplum pattern they put out, but still got a good many reviews. I plan to add one, real soon now. These have both been over-flashed and the real color is closer to what you see in the mirror, but I guess the advantage is the heathered pattern shows up.

I'm pretty happy with the pattern. My only complaint is I might like the collar to be gathered and stayed on the sides as well as at CB, at least if it'd help keep the shoulder seams where they belong (though I'm not certain it would). They tend to slide outward; it isn't absolutely terrible, but when it happens, it can give more of an extended or drop-shoulder look than the pattern would've intended, judging from the sleeve cap height. I like the peplum more than I expected, but it won't go with everything, so it does need some careful planning to wear.

Oh, and the coverstitch worked very well on this fabric, though you can't really see it at all in the photos (which is kind of the point).

I've got maybe half a yard of the fabric left but I'm not sure what, if anything, I'll do with that.

As for the pink tricot, I had quite a bit left and decided I could use another half-slip with just a bit more length. Turns out one of my knee-length skirts sits lower on the waist than I remembered. So this one's 20". I used the last bit of lace I had left over, cut in half so I could get it all the way around the hem. That means it was serged on RS together, rather than applied to the outside, to hide the cut edge.
This time the elastic's serged on, flipped inside, and sewn on with a much narrower three-step zigzag. I like the look of this better than the wide three-step zigzag I used last time. A narrow coverstitch would've looked even more like RTW, but I lacked the motivation to rethread the machine. Anyway, I highly recommend Kwik-Sew 2467 or Beautiful Lingerie, both of which will tell you how to cut and make these. They don't need to take more than an hour or so, once you're used to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment