2014-07-24

What's next

I have finally finished setting up the sewing room. I should be able to get back to sewing things shortly. Here's what I'm considering doing in the near term:
  • Summer sewing. I don't have all that many summer fabrics left, but I may as well sew one or two of them while they're still appropriate for the weather. One example is this cotton lawn. There's only 1 meter of it, so I don't have a lot of choice as to what to do with it. I may use New Look 6387
  • Knit tops with various sleeve lengths. These should be fairly long in the body. I have a lot of RTW trousers with poor fit that needs covering up, and I can sew a knit top much faster than I'd be able to replace them all. Besides, I got rid of a lot of tops before I moved, and I don't have much for the sort of in-between weather that's more common here.
  • Jeans, for a bit later in the year.
  • Some bookkeeping regarding the fabric stash. I gave away quite a few pieces in May, so it's gone down a bit.
  • Possibly getting a new steam iron.
    I have only dry irons at this point, having dropped my Black & Decker Classic a few too many times, and having given away the basic steam iron I got in Germany to replace it (it wouldn't have worked here anyway — yes, I did have step-down/step-up transformers I could've moved back with me, but IIRC the iron was 2400W, too much for any of them).
    For the moment, I've been making do with a Continental dry iron and an old Sunbeam, both of which work fine for regular ironing. I'll see how it goes for sewing.
    I'd consider (a) a cheap household iron, on the sad presumption that most things these days won't last much more than a year anyway; (b) a nicer Reliable household iron; (c) a gravity-feed iron, if I can find a place to buy one.
    At school, the latter worked fine with well-padded, heavy, non-vacuum boards. While separate steam generators/boilers and vacuum tables seem ideal, I very much doubt I can trust anything that high-wattage with the circuits I've got available.
  • Possibly looking for a coverstitch machine. All of my experience has been with ones that were very temperamental. I'll want this only if I can find one that isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment